It is very easy to assume that your skin is just dry, when in fact it is actually dehydrated. Yep, that’s right, they are not the same thing. In simple terms when your skin is dry it needs oil, when it is dehydrated it needs water...no not from the shower (if only it were that easy?) It needs water infusion from the correct skin care product/s. The trick is figuring out what your skin is crying out for and then you can pick the right product to use to replenish it.
If you’re not too sure if your seemingly dry skin is actually dry, or just really thirsty, keep reading for a ‘how to’ guide on figuring it out.
Dry skin has little to no oil flow, verses a dehydrated skin which has some oil flow, but is lacking water and moisture. Okay cool, but what’s the difference in how they feel, how can you tell if your skin is dry or dehydrated without the help of a professional skin therapist?
Let’s break it down.
Dry skin is a skin type, dehydrated skin is a skin condition. Absolutely everybody, no matter what their skin type can experience dehydration, in fact most of us do. But not everybody has dry skin.
To explain this a little further; there are five main skin types: normal, dry, oily, combination and sensitive.
Understanding the different types of skin and which one you have will help give you a better idea of how to treat different concerns and to inevitably achieve smooth, clear, beautiful, HYDRATED skin. We all have a skin type that's determined by genetic and hormonal factors.
A skin condition is something that develops. Unfortunately a skin condition will not fix itself, it needs some help from yours truly to make it go away! For example, some of the most common skin conditions are: Dehydration (surprise!), Acne, Dermatitis, Rosacea and Psoriasis.
Dehydrated skin is also super common, and thankfully one of the easiest to treat quickly. The tricky part is telling the difference between dry skin and dehydrated skin because they can look and feel similar.
The five tell tale signs of a dry skin are:
- A feeling of skin tightness, especially after showering
- Skin that feels and looks rough
- Slight to severe flaking, scaling or peeling
- Fine lines or cracks
- Gray, ashy skin
The five tell tale signs of a dehydrated skin are:
- Darker under-eye circles, or tired eye appearance
- Skin Dullness
- When you lightly pinch your skin fine lines appear
Do you know which one you are now? Awesome! Let’s talk about ingredients...these are the ingredients you need in your skincare routine and in your life to achieve your serious skin goals:
- Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid) – a key component of connective tissue. Hyaluronic acid holds 1000 times its weight in water and restores the skin moisture, plumps the skin and helps to avoid epidermal thinning occurring during aging. Provides long-lasting hydration….the hero ingredient when it comes to dehydration, it is the drink your skin is crying out for!
- Vitamin B3 - Enhances skin clarity, hydration and illumination. Boosts collagen and elastin.
- Vitamin C - An antioxidant that helps to protect the skin by blocking the damage caused by free radicals which are a direct cause of dehydrated skin.
Finally the best tip would be to invest in your skin, a healthy skin is worth its weight in gold and will have you looking and feeling amazing! For any further information or if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we are here to help you anytime :)